Resort village, pop 503, is a rapidly developing resort community located 77 km NE of Prince Albert off Hwy 120. The community is situated at the south end of the large lake which gave it its name, originating with a Cree legend that a mysterious light can sometimes be seen on the lake’s surface. As the resort area is comprised of approximately 2,000 cottages, the temporary summer population can far exceed the permanent population cited above. Numerous subdivision developments continue to be built. Candle Lake Provincial Park, which includes approximately 300 campgrounds, also encompasses much of the lake’s shore. Commercial fishing and trapping in the area date to around 1912; people were permanently settling in the area in the 1920s; the post office was opened in 1936; and tourism began to develop in the late 1940s. Candle Lake was incorporated in 1977.