Bushell Park

, pop 379, located 5 km S of the city of Moose Jaw on provincial highway 363 and adjacent to the Canadian Air Forces 15 Wing, Moose Jaw-Air Vice-Marshal CM McEwen Airfield. Part of a large-scale expansion of existing World War II facilities at the airbase when it was reactivated as a Royal Canadian Air Force Station in 1952, the community was organized to provide housing for Air Force personnel and their families. On September 19, 1954, Sybil Bushell of Fort Qu’Appelle, Saskatchewan, cut a ribbon at the main entrance to the community, officially naming it Bushell Park in memory of her son, Squadron Leader Christopher “Kit” Bushell, a World War II fighter pilot who was killed in action during the war.

Jeff R. Noel


Further Reading

Office of Air Force History and Heritage, 15 Wing Moose Jaw: CFB Moose Jaw Base History, 1939–1985.