First formed on May 10, 1941, 406 Squadron was a night fighter squadron and remained so until November 27, 1944, when it was renamed 406 Intruder Squadron and converted to offensive operations over Europe. It was disbanded in England on September 1, 1945. On April 1, 1947, 406 (Intruder) Squadron was reformed at RCAF Station Saskatoon as 406 Tactical Bomber Squadron (Auxiliary). The squadron flew B-25 Mitchell aircraft in a light bomber role, as well as Harvard and T-33 Silver Star aircraft in an army co-operation role. It was renamed “City of Saskatoon” Squadron on September 3, 1952. In March 1958, 406 Squadron was reassigned to a light transport and emergency rescue role, and re-equipped with Expeditor and Otter aircraft. A reduction in the RCAF’s Auxiliary Force resulted in 406 “City of Saskatoon” Squadron (Auxiliary) being disbanded on April 1, 1964. Today, 406 Maritime Helicopter Squadron is the Helicopter Operational Training squadron for the Sikorsky CH-124 Sea King.