Saskatchewan’s artillery unit, 10th Field Regiment, Royal Canadian Artillery (RCA), is a unit of 38th Canadian Brigade Group, Land Forces Western Area. The Regiment can trace its roots back to 1910, when the 26th Field Battery in Regina was formed. During World War I the Regina battery of the Regiment acted as a recruiting depot for overseas service. The formation of the 5th Brigade, Canadian Field Artillery, occurred in 1914. One of the 5th Brigade’s batteries was reorganized into the 10th Field Brigade, with the 18th Field Battery remaining in Regina. In 1920, the unit was reorganized as 10th Brigade, Canadian Field Artillery, having as sub-units 77th Field Battery in Moose Jaw, and 18th Field Battery in Regina. Batteries from other cities in the province were added over the next two decades. During World War II, 10th Field Brigade was broken up and its batteries utilized in different areas. 18th Battery was sent to England, where it retrained as an anti-tank battery, joining the Canadian Anti-Tank Regiment in the 2nd Canadian Division in 1940; from 1942 to 1945, 18th Battery became part of the 2nd Anti-Tank Regiment which was part of the 5th Division. 77th Battery was mobilized with 3rd Field Regiment; 113th Battery (Regina) was mobilized with 4th Field Regiment; and 60th Battery (Aneroid) joined with 76th Battery (Indian Head) to form part of 17th Field Regiment.
Following the war, the batteries returned home and were reorganized into the 10th Medium Regiment, RCA. When 113rd Battery disbanded in 1956, 10th Medium Regiment comprised 18th Battery (Regina), 21st Battery (Saskatoon), and 44th Battery (Prince Albert). In the reorganization of the militia in 1961, the Regiment again converted to a Field Regiment, consisting of 18th Battery (Regina), 65th Battery (Grenfell), and a revived 76th Battery in Indian Head. Yorkton’s 64th Battery, formerly part of the 53rd Field Regiment, joined 10th Field Regiment in 1968, after 53rd Field Regiment and its batteries in Melville, Kamsack and Canora were disbanded. About the same time, 22nd Field Regiment, along No. 1 Hwy, was reduced to nil strength, and some of its batteries in Indian Head, Grenfell and Broadview were transferred to 10th Field Regiment. The current 10th Field Artillery Regiment consists of a regimental headquarters, as well as 18th Battery in Regina and 64th Battery in Yorkton. The unit also maintains a training affiliation with 26th Field Regiment in Manitoba and with 116th Independent Field Battery in Kenora, Ontario.