The Encyclopedia of Saskatchewan

 

Welcome to the Encyclopedia of Saskatchewan. For assistance in exploring this site, please click here.

If you have feedback regarding this entry please fill out our feedback form.

Starblanket First Nation

The Starblanket band adhered to Treaty 4 in 1874 under Chief Wah-pi-moos-toosis (White Calf), a leader of the Calling River Cree whose territory extended from the File Hills to Wood Mountain and the Cypress Hills. A reserve was surveyed in 1876 near Crooked Lake, but the band did not settle there, moving instead to the File Hills, where they received a reserve in 1880. In 1983 the successful completion of a land claim filed by the band was fulfilled in part through the transfer of the Lebret student residence; it was followed in 1994 by the transfer of Crown-owned lots in the town of Fort Qu’Appelle to reserve land. The new centre constructed on this urban reserve land has provided economic growth to both the town and the First Nation. The main 5,611.9-ha reserve is located 18 km northeast of Fort Qu’Appelle, with an additional 1,715.3 ha of reserve land purchased through the claim agreement. Of the 535 band members, 233 live on reserve.

Christian Thompson

Print Entry
This web site was produced with financial assistance
provided by Western Economic Diversification Canada and the Government of Saskatchewan.
University of Regina Government of Canada Government of Saskatchewan Canadian Plains Research Center
Ce site Web a été conçu grâce à l'aide financière de
Diversification de l'économie de l'Ouest Canada et le gouvernement de la Saskatchewan.