The Encyclopedia of Saskatchewan

 

Welcome to the Encyclopedia of Saskatchewan. For assistance in exploring this site, please click here.

If you have feedback regarding this entry please fill out our feedback form.

Sisters of the Presentation of Mary (PM)

The congregation of the Sisters of the Presentation of Mary was founded in the Ardèche, southern France in 1796 by Anne-Marie Rivier to educate young people in academics and in the Catholic faith. In 1853, six Sisters from France came to teach in Marieville, Quebec. Fifty years later, in 1903, twelve Sisters journeyed from Quebec to Saskatchewan to work with the Oblates at St. Michael’s School in the Duck Lake area. Shortly thereafter, Stobart Public School Board in Duck Lake hired Sister Marie-de-la-Trinité to teach in their two-room school. So began the Presentation Sisters’ participation in French-English Education and culture on the Prairies of Saskatchewan. In subsequent years, the Sisters taught in Saskatoon, Marcelin, Prince Albert, Wakaw, Zenon Park, Green Lake, Debden, Spiritwood, Bellevue, Vawn, Makwa, Albertville, North Battleford, Melfort and Regina. Parish work and ministry to Native peoples have also been a part of the Sisters’ work for the last twenty years.

Emma Rousseau

Print Entry
This web site was produced with financial assistance
provided by Western Economic Diversification Canada and the Government of Saskatchewan.
University of Regina Government of Canada Government of Saskatchewan Canadian Plains Research Center
Ce site Web a été conçu grâce à l'aide financière de
Diversification de l'économie de l'Ouest Canada et le gouvernement de la Saskatchewan.