The Encyclopedia of Saskatchewan

 

Welcome to the Encyclopedia of Saskatchewan. For assistance in exploring this site, please click here.

If you have feedback regarding this entry please fill out our feedback form.

Boulton’s Scouts

Boulton’s Scouts were an ad hoc military mounted troop formed at Fort Qu’Appelle during the 1885 North-West Resistance. The troop was recruited from Boulton’s Mounted Corps, which had been raised in the Russell-Birtle district of Manitoba by Major Charles A. Boulton. At its inception, the total strength of Boulton’s Mounted Corps consisted of five officers and 123 men; the unit was formed to be the advance guard for General Middleton’s column of militia. Middleton’s column set out northward from Qu’Appelle to engage Métis forces led by Louis Riel and Gabriel Dumont. Boulton’s Scouts fought at Fish Creek and Batoche; the unit was disbanded in September 1885.

Peter Borch

Print Entry
This web site was produced with financial assistance
provided by Western Economic Diversification Canada and the Government of Saskatchewan.
University of Regina Government of Canada Government of Saskatchewan Canadian Plains Research Center
Ce site Web a été conçu grâce à l'aide financière de
Diversification de l'économie de l'Ouest Canada et le gouvernement de la Saskatchewan.