The Encyclopedia of Saskatchewan

 

Welcome to the Encyclopedia of Saskatchewan. For assistance in exploring this site, please click here.

If you have feedback regarding this entry please fill out our feedback form.

19th Infantry Brigade

A military unit initially composed of five Saskatchewan-based regiments, the 19th Infantry Brigade was organized on December 15, 1936, with headquarters in Regina. It included the Regina Rifle Regiment, Prince Albert and Battleford Volunteers, South Saskatchewan Regiment, King’s Own Rifles of Canada (MG), and Saskatoon Light Infantry (MG).

Following Japan’s entry into World War II in December 1941, the Canadian Army raised several formations and units for home defence. Stationed at Vernon, BC, the 19th Infantry Brigade formed part of the reorganized 6th Canadian Infantry Division beginning in July 1942. Of the Saskatchewan regiments, only the Prince Albert Volunteers remained with the 19th, along with the 3rd Battalion, Irish Fusiliers of Canada and the Winnipeg Light Infantry. The 19th Infantry Brigade was disbanded in October 1943.

Daria Coneghan

Print Entry

Further Reading

Winton, Maurice V. Saskatchewan’s Prairie Soldiers 1885-1980. The Author, 1980.
This web site was produced with financial assistance
provided by Western Economic Diversification Canada and the Government of Saskatchewan.
University of Regina Government of Canada Government of Saskatchewan Canadian Plains Research Center
Ce site Web a été conçu grâce à l'aide financière de
Diversification de l'économie de l'Ouest Canada et le gouvernement de la Saskatchewan.